Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon

Good Sunday morning to you!
If you are new to my blog, The Sunday Salon, is a post where I give my readers an update on the previous weeks Bible reading.
It is also a keen way for me to be accountable.
Through Becky @ Operation Actually Read Bible she is hosting a Perpetual Bible Reading Challenge, and Operation Deepen Faith Challenge.
A few links for more information:
http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com/p/getting-started.html
http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com/2008/01/do-you-want-to-join-me.html
http://operationreadbible.blogspot.com/2011/12/sign-up-for-2012-operation-deepen-faith.html
I have committed to reading through the whole Bible this year, reading Hebrews 12 times in 12 different translations, and in reading all of the New Testament during the week before Easter. 

I am doing something a little different in 2012. Instead of making a list of all of the OT and NT books, and as I read them they are crossed off my list. I stumbled across, through Tim Challies website, a new Bible reading system (new to me.) Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System.
http://www.challies.com/site-news/resources-for-the-3650-challengehttp://www.scribd.com/doc/12349985/Professor-Grant-Horners-Bible-Reading-System
There is also a Facebook page for participants to be able to encourage and be held accountable to each other.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/210696269012642/
In Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System you read from ten different places in the Bible everyday, one chapter from each of these ten places. It begins with reading from Genesis, Joshua, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Matthew, Acts, Romans, 1 Thessalonians. I printed out a sheet from the above link at Scribd.com where I have little book marks to place in my Bible. By reading from ten places in the Bible, "every year you'll read through all the Gospels four times, the Pentateuch twice, Paul's letters 4-5 times each, the OT wisdom literature six times, all the Psalms at least twice, all the Proverbs as well as Acts a dozen times, and all the way through the OT History and Prophetic books about 1 1/2 times."
By using this system not only do you read through the Bible more than one time during a year, but you familiarize yourself with Scripture sections, how the OT and NT correlate, and by reading from several different sections at one time the monotony is squelched.
So far I've kept up with the daily readings. I have to admit reading from 10 different places is a challenge. It's also a challenge to read the Bible fast. Instructions for this system is that we are to not speed read the Bible, but to read at least moderately fast. We are not to take time to look at cross-references, nor daddle over words we don't understand, just keep moving on with our reading. This I dislike------the fast pace.
It is going to be a challenge for me to read this system, plus read Hebrews twelve times this year, plus keep up with Bible Study Fellowship's study of The Acts of the Apostles.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:17

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments