Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon

Good Sunday Morning to you!
Today was day 15 of Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System. Currently, and according to the plan I'm reading in at 10 different places in the Bible, I have read so far: Genesis the first 15 chapters, Joshua the first 15 chapters, Job first 15 chapters, Psalm first 15 chapters, Proverbs the first 15 chapters, Isaiah also the first 15 chapters, Matthew first 15 chapters, Acts first 15 chapters, and Romans first 15 chapters. I've completed 1 and 2 Thessalonian, and 1 Timothy. I read ahead and finished 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon.
I've also finished reading Hebrews. This is the first time completed for this year. I plan to read through Hebrews once every month in 2012, for total of 12 times, all in different translations.
All the above readings have been in the Common English Bible.
Are you familiar with the Common English Bible version? The three Bibles I use most often are the NIV Study Bible (2008 edition), ESV Study Bible, NASB Study Bible. When I first started reading from the Common English Bible I was not sure I'd grow to like it, but I have. It is a great Bible for daily reading. The reading is easy, the wording is in our common speech pattern for today. So I am able to read through the passages quite quickly and smoothly. In order to give you a better idea of the variation in translations I'll give you an example from one of my favorite passages in Scripture.
All the examples are from Romans 8:26-30

From Common English Bible---2011:
"In the same way, the Spirit comes to help our weakness. We don't know what we should pray, but the Spirit itself pleads our case with unexpressed groans. The one who searches hearts knows how the Spirit thinks, because it pleads for the saints, consistent with God's will. We know that God works all things together for good for the ones who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose. We know this because God knew them in advance, and he decided in advance that they would be conformed to the image of his Son. That way his Son would be the first of many brothers and sisters. Those who God decided in advance would be conformed to his Son, he also called. Those whom he called, he also made righteous. Those whom he made righteous, he also glorified."

From NIV---Zondervan 2008:
"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified, those he justified, he also glorified."

From ESV Study Bible---Crossway 2008:
"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."

From NASB The MacArthur Study Bible---Thomas Nelson 2006
"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified and these whom He justified, He also glorified."

For those of you knew to my blog I am in Bible Study Fellowship International, or BSF. This is my tenth year in this phenomenal study. For 2011/2012 are study is The Acts of the Apostles. We just finished Acts chapters 15-18. This week our study jumps to 1 Thessalonian. This means some of the same Bible reading I've done for the Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System I am re-reading for my BSF study.

How do I feel about this Bible reading plan by Grant Horner? So far it's okay. Just okay. I do like the Facebook page dedicated to the reading plan, because we encourage each other and we share what the Lord is teaching us. I don't like the speediness of the Bible reading. I don't like reading in 10 different places at one time. Yet, I plan to stick it out at least for a few months.

I have 4 book reviews coming up:
Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey
The Sound of Red Returning by Sue Duffy
Never The Same by B.C. Fleming
Salvation Accomplished By The Son The Work Of Christ by Robert A. Peterson

Praying your Sunday will be a joy!

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Becky said…
Thanks for sharing your progress on Bible reading!

And I was definitely curious about how you were liking--or not liking--the new reading plan.

I definitely like reading in more than one book at a time--though ten can be a stretch at times!!! I wouldn't mind if it was only five or six books to be honest. But I am noticing connections by reading in so many places at once. Like, the first week, I noticed the theme of salvation--ultimately, of course, Jesus is the Savior. But reading about how God used an ark to save Noah and his family, and how he used a scarlet cord to save Rahab and her family, helped me start to see 'salvation' at work in the OT better.