Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon

Since the beginning of the year I've been using Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System. I have done well keeping up with my daily Bible readings.
In this system the reader reads from 10 different places in the Bible. Every book will be read at least once, some several times in one year.
I don't know how long I will stay with this Bible reading plan. I've already made a change in that after finishing Proverbs, Ecclesiastes,and Song of Solomon---I'll not be re-reading them again this year.
In the past 2 weeks (since my last posting of The Sunday Salon.)
I finished reading Genesis on February 22. I'm reading in Exodus now and have read through chapter 3.
I finished Judges on February 12, and Ruth on February 19. I've now read through 1 Samuel chapter 4.
I've read through Psalm 64 and Isaiah 49.
I finished Mark on February 20. I've read through Luke 3.
For second time I'm reading Acts and have read through chapter 20.
Read through 2 Corinthians chapter 12.
I've read through Revelation 10.
On February 11 I finished 1, 2, 3 John and Jude.
All the above Scripture read in the Common English Bible. At some point in the near future my translation is going to change to either ESV or NASB. 

My own personal challenge this year is to read Hebrews 12 times in 12 different Bible versions. 
I finished Hebrews for second time reading from the ESV or English Standard Version on February 22. I'm currently reading Hebrews for third time in KJV. I stopped my reading today after chapter 5.
The KJV or King James Version is my least favorite version to read from. Some words just don't rattle off my brain as easily as other versions do. For example: spake, sware, succour, recompence, vesture, sundry, divers, compassed. Also the word sequence just stumbles ungracefully for me, for example:
"For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat."  Hebrews 5:12
It is definitely a challenge for me to read from the KJV.

Blissful Reading!
Annette




Comments

Becky said…
I'm back to reading a very, very modified version of the Professor Horner plan. I've taken it from ten categories to eight, and I've shuffled the books around to better fit me and what I want to read.

Right now I'm reading the NIV. This is a translation that I haven't read in almost ten years because I've been reading the ESV and NASB. But I wanted to go back and revisit this translation for a bit. I'm still not sure which translation is the one that works the best for me, or if it is even possible to have just one translation.

Hebrews, for me, has always been one of those tricky, tricky books to try to comprehend fully. I mean there are passages where I just am overwhelmed with the mystery of it--by how much I just don't know. Not that that is a bad thing! In fact, I think it's *good* to find places where you just recognize that there are mysteries that we just can't fully comprehend on this side of heaven. And it's good to see God as big and wondrous.

The King James Version isn't one I thought I would ever like, but I discovered it last year. And I especially love it in the Psalms. There are places where it is just so majestic, where it just sings to my soul. But I'll agree wholeheartedly that Hebrews is very, very, very tough going in the KJV!!!!