Skip to main content

Book Review: The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross by Arthur W. Pink

During this Easter season I have chosen 4 books from my bookshelf (previously unread by me) to read and review.
I've reviewed Max Lucado's book Six Hours One Friday. Next I'll review Born Crucified by L. E. Maxwell and Experiencing The Resurrection by Henry and Melvin Blackaby.

Arthur Pink 1886-1952) is known to me by his wonderful commentary on Hebrews---An Exposition of Hebrews. This is offered free (as well as his other writings) at the following link:
http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Hebrews/index.htm

In The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross there are 2 forewords written by John MacArthur and Warren Wiersbe. Both men state Arthur Pink knew Scripture and was able to explain, teach, and help his hearers apply the Word. MacArthur wrote, "Pink's approach is a masterful blend of literary and sermonic style."

The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross are explained in 7 chapters for 7 sayings on the cross.
1. The Word of Forgiveness
2. The Word of Salvation
3. The Word of Affection
4. The Word of Anguish
5. The Word of Suffering
6. The Word of Victory
7. The Word of Contentment

I loved all of this book! But my favorite chapters were 3 and 4.

Chapter 3, The Word of Affection.
"But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, 'Woman, behold, your son!' Then he said to the disciple, 'Behold, your mother!' And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home." John 19:25-27 ESV.
There were several observations that Arthur Pink elaborated on when speaking of Mary the mother of Jesus. She was quiet in her grief. She did not scream or writhe in a outward display of grief. She did not faint. She did not say a word. She was in agony and great distress, yet she did not say a word. Mary had witnessed the thorn of crowns placed on his head. She heard the jeering, abusive words that were spoken to him. She had seen them place the nails on his hands and feet and watched as they were pounded in to his flesh. Mary watched as Jesus' cross was lifted up. This was her son too. She loved him as his mother and she loved him as her Lord.
I was reminded of an earlier time, after the Shepherds had come to the manger to see Jesus after his birth was announced to them in the field.
"But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." Luke 2:19.
To ponder means that Mary was a deep thinker, she turned things over in her mind, she was an introspective person. What was she pondering while Jesus was on the cross?
Arthur Pink makes another observation on this 3rd saying from the cross. Jesus made a point to make sure his mother was cared for. Jesus was teaching us something as well. Are we caring for our parents? This question of course hit home for me strongly. I've cared for my parents most of my adult life. But laboring in this task is one step. Have I cared for them with "respect, affection, and love?" When we become adults we leave home to make our own life. Yet, while our parents are still living we should not leave them to flounder with respect to making sure they are safe, cared for, have food to eat, and medical attention. I've known many people who are not able to do what my husband and I've done, in either living in my parents home or them living in my home. Nor are they able to quite their paying job in order to stay at home with a parent.
Yet, so often the case is that the adult child is not willing to give up their freedom in order to be the caregiver of a dependent aging adult. Someday we will be the aged and dependent parent that needs care. What have we taught our children? Further, when we stand before Jesus, will we be able to say we were faithful in this mission that we were given? Over the span of our life we are given many responsibilities, we have the freedom to say yes, or no. But, someday we will be held accountable, and we won't have a choice of escape or excuse.

Chapter 4, The Word of Anguish.
"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani? that is, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46 ESV
Arthur Pink states that we see "the awfulness of sin and the character of its wages," Jesus' agony, His perfect "fidelity to God," and "the supreme evidence of Christ's love for us."
Have you ever thought about the horrible, stinking, wretchedness, of your own sin? Maybe you think you're not that bad. Maybe you think you're actually a pretty nice person. You go to church every Sunday, tithe, treat your family well, and on occasion you talk about God to others....if they bring the topic up.
Read the book of Romans. All of us are guilty of sin. All of us should have the penalty of death. Before a Holy God, we stink. It is only by the blood of Christ Jesus that we are made clean and righteous before Him.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV.
"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20 ESV.

Published by Baker Books 3rd Printing 2007, Originally Published 1984
Non-Fiction/Crucifixion of Jesus/Atonement
144 pages

Link @ publisher:
http://www.bakerbooks.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=0477683E4046471488BD7BAC8DCFB004&nm=&type=PubCom&mod=PubComProductCatalog&mid=BF1316AF9E334B7BA1C33CB61CF48A4E&AudId=2CE59DBC134644E48BA21637B1D727C3&tier=2

Link for book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/the-seven-sayings-the-saviour-cross/arthur-pink/9780801065736/pd/65739?product_redirect=1&Ntt=65739&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP
Paperback $8.49
eBook $5.56

Blissful Reading!
Annette

Comments

Becky said…
This book looks great!!! I am currently (slowly-but-surely) reading A.W. Pink's Exposition on the Gospel of John!!! It is a massive commentary, but it is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. And I am loving it so far! (I've just finished John 1).
Annette said…
How exciting that we have both been reading the same author. And an author that is not as heard about as many others.
Keep plugging away at the Gospel of John by Pink. I can't wait to read your review.
Annette