Skip to main content

Book Review: The Thorn, The Rose Trilogy Book One by Beverly Lewis

Rose Kaufman and her parents live as Old Order Amish in southern Lancaster county Pennsylvania. She has an older sister named Hannah that is married to an Englisher and they have a young daughter named Mattie Sue. Hannah and her husband Brandon do not live as the Amish. Brandon is repugnant towards Hannah's family and the Amish world. In this first book of The Rose Trilogy, Hannah (nick-named Hen) and her husband are at odds against each other. As Mattie Sue grows, Hen sees the error in marrying an Englisher and in leaving the Amish world behind. Rose is smitten, although she does not acknowledge it, to a boy named Nick, who was adopted in to the Amish world by their Bishop. Nick is at odds with this new lifestyle, because he has experienced the "other" life.
The story expounds on choices that sometimes lead to results that are life-altering----especially in choosing life-mates. 

I will probably be tar and feathered but I just did not care for this book. Sorry to all those Beverly Lewis fans out there. I saw on Christian Book review site that this book has 5 stars, as well as the others in the trilogy. On Amazon 4 1/2 stars.

I do appreciate that the book addressed an important issue in choosing wisely our marriage partners. But, I was not swept away by the story. Hannah I could relate to and feel sympathy for and I was more engaged in her situation. Rose seemed too picture perfect....including the air-brushed front cover of the beautiful gal. 
I like to see more dimensional characters, as we all have idiosyncrasies and quirks.
No I did not hate this book. I would though give it 3 stars for okay. 

Thank you to Bethany House and An Open Book program for my free review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Published by Bethany House September 2010
352 pages
Fiction/Amish/Inspirational/Romance

The other books in this trilogy are:
The Judgment
The Mercy

Link for The Thorn @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/the-thorn-rose-trilogy/beverly-lewis/9780764205743/pd/205741?item_code=WW&netp_id=762108&event=ESRCG&view=details
Paperback $9.99
Hardcover $4.99
eBook $7.59

Comments

Becky said…
This series wasn't my favorite. My issue--if issue is even the right word--is that it takes Beverly Lewis three books to tell what any other writer could probably tell in just one novel.