Skip to main content

Book Review: Mortal, The Books of Mortals by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee

It's been nine years since the time period of the first book in this series, Forbidden. In the first book Forbidden, Rom Sebastian was a young man in his twenties who'd obtained a vial of serum that worked as a anti-toxin, to a virus that had wiped out all human emotion except fear. This virus had affected humanity nearly 500 years before. A selected group of people had guarded this vial, now it was Rom's turn. Jonathon "was born to a ruling family with true life running through his veins." At the age of eighteen he is to become the supreme ruler.
Saric and his half sister Feyn are a strange brother/sister relationship. They are head of the current supreme ruling family. Although Feyn who was to be crowned in book one, has been in a form called stasis for nine years. During her stasis Saric has become more evil. He is the definition of all that defines violence and hatred and heinous acts of evil.

Book two Mortal picks-up nine years later where Forbidden ended. "Rom is the leader of the Mortals . Over the Keepers and Nomads." 
Jonathon is nine days away from being crowned as maker of the Mortals.
Saric has raised to life Feyn. Although it is a life on his terms and rules. She is in a zombie type existence.
Forbidden has other groups or societies of people. For example the Mortals. They have acute smell. They dress and act similar to Native American warriors. They ride horses and are athletic.
Another group of people are called Corpses. They smell foul, putrid (as I would guess they would).
Also the Dark Bloods and the Nomads.
The mission of Rom and those who follow him is to make sure that Jonathon is protected at all costs, and that he will be crowned as the maker of the Mortals.
The chief enemy Saric uses his alchemy powers and the use of his sister Feyn, to try and stop and crush this impending ruler. 

Both books are a swarm of activity and characters with strange names and unusual descriptions. In the first book Forbidden I would sometimes have to stop reading, back up and re-read parts so I would have the understanding about what was going on. I did not have to do this in book two Mortals. I felt as if I'd finally gotten it! I enjoyed reading Mortals much more than Forbidden for the main reason as I'd stated above, I was finally understanding and piecing the story together.
Forbidden and Mortals and book three Sovereign that will be available in 2013, are a allegorical tale. I know you are wondering what do I mean by allegorical tale? I don't want to give a spoiler that would ruin the enjoyment of reading The Mortals series for yourself.
I've heard some readers compare these books to some of Dekker's previous works. As I've only read one--- Chosen I can't give an opinion on that.

Positive:
  • The meticulous creativity and imagination that was put forth into the writing of these books is fantastic. I never stopped being fascinated with the storyline. 
  • Layers of characters and events that are moving towards a climax. The anticipation of this final event is building and building and I felt not only in-tuned to the plight of the "good characters," but I cared about their outcome. 
  • There is a great fathom of division between the two groups of evil and good. I was not confused about where these groups of people stood.
  • I am seeing in a few of the characters the need to promote their own goodwill (for the sake of their people.) They want to add-to or help. This piece of the story I'm hoping will be looked into further in the third book.
  • I am always impressed with a character that stays the course, keeps the faith. They persevere onwards no matter the cost! 
Negative:
  • Be prepared for bloodshed and violence. I'm a sensitive gal, don't watch much television and rarely go to the movies, so I guess I am a bit sensitive.
  • I felt this book is for the mature reader, not a reader that would have no clue about the allegory. This story has deep meaning and to fully understand it the reader would need to be a Christian. 
Published June 5, 2012 by Faith Words
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9781599953588.htm
418 pages
Suspense/Fantasy/Allegory/Science Fiction/Christian Fiction

Link @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-The-Books-Mortals-Dekker/dp/1599953587/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346261032&sr=8-2&keywords=the+book+of+mortals
Hardcover $13.45
Kindle $11.99

Comments

Lindsey said…
This sounds like an interesting read. My husband is a huge Ted Dekker fan, so I've read one or two but not this one. If you like Christian allegory, have you ever read C.S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces?