Skip to main content

Question of the Week---Moving Thoughts Friday



Wendy Paine Miller is the author of this blog and Question of the Week, link to post:
http://thoughtsthatmove.blogspot.com/2012/08/moving-thoughts-friday.html

"If you could say one thing to yourself and believe it assuredly, starting today and everyday in the future, what would you say?"

I would say, Annette you can do anything you set your mind and heart to do.

I fight (what I call) ugly thinking in my head, "what if I don't measure up?" "What if I fail?"
I try and reason with the ugly thinking, "who's measuring rod are you using?" and "so what if you do fail, at least you tried."
Sometimes I go round and round. Never actually doing anything beyond the infraction in my head.
Recently I re-read the book The Search For Significance by Robert S. McGee. This book was widely read in the early 1990's. The first part of the book is reading, the later half is questions for individual and small group discussion.

An example from the book and one that I'm grasping hold of.
"Because our performance and ability to please others so dominates our search for significance, we have difficulty recognizing the distinction between our real identity and the way we behave, a realization crucial to understanding our true worth. Our true value is not based on our behavior or the approval of others, but on what God's Word says is true of us." page 25.

On an index card that sits on a table beside my reading chair is a quote from this book. Often I pause and read it, reflecting on it and not on ugly thinking.
"Because of Christ and His redemption, I am completely forgiven and fully pleasing to God. I am totally accepted by God."

I believe there are lies we tell our self and unfortunately believe. We reflect on them. We allow them to take root in our head.
Their are some people who live a facade of a bubbly confidence. In my opinion a confident nature does not need to be broadcast, confidence is lived out in a persons life and others notice.
Their are also some people who seem to make everything about them. Their self-worth is so fragile that any remark sets them on a teetering edge because they feel they've been assaulted.

All of us have something in our personalities we need to work on. It is a lifetime mission. It will not be perfected until we are in heaven with Jesus. In the mean time how are we, how am I, to compensate for this ugly talk. I am to reflect on the Truth that I am "completely forgiven and fully pleasing to God. I am totally accepted by God." Stop focusing on other people and what they think. Stop focusing on my fears and insecurities. Instead, focus on what has already been accomplished on the cross through Christ Jesus.
"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1 NIV.

If you are interested the link @ Amazon for the book I mentioned above:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Search-For-Significance-Through/dp/0849944244/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343999265&sr=8-1&keywords=search+for+significance







Comments

Carole said…
So nice of you to follow me back, Annette. Cheers
Kathy B said…
Thanks for the book reviews. I enjoy reading. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com New follower
From Austin TX.