Skip to main content

Weekly Readings, May 5 Though May 11, 2013---Mother's Day

First photo of mother and I, February 1964.
There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about mother, nor a day when I do not miss her. Then, there are those dark moments and even days when I grieve for her. Mother's Day is bitter-sweet. It is bitter in that I miss my mother who is no longer here, but it is sweet in that I know exactly where she is. My mother is in heaven.
I feel that as humans we think things are just going to go on and on as they always have been, status quo. Yesterday, our youngest son closed on buying his first home. He will be slowly moving out of our nest over the next week. This is going to be a big change for all of us. Change is life, we know that in our head, but it's our hearts that lag behind with heaviness. I would like to go sit in a corner and cry. I would like to tell the world to slow down a bit, or even pause so I can soak in these last few days with our youngest still at home. This is impossible, because time trudges along.
I read recently about a woman who wrote a book with a shocking story that she didn't really want to be a mother and wished she'd not had children. I've read in recent blog posts women who hate Mother's Day because they had a terrible mother, or they miss their mother who has passed from this life, or maybe they were unable to have children because of infertility. So they've decided to boo Mother's Day, they'd like to boycott it. Some choose to not attend church because mother's are honored in the worship service. I feel sorry for all of them, I'm sad that things in their life has caused them to be sorrowful to the point of being cynical. 
Last fall my mother's brother Melvyn died. Both my mother and Melvyn died of Alzheimer's disease. When he died, I grieved for mother all over again. I shared how I felt with Melvyn's widow, my aunt Beverly. She said,
"Annette, think about where they are, not where you'd like them to be." 
Such a simple statement, but exactly what I needed to hear.
I think that too often people in trying to help say something helpful to the grieving end up saying the wrong thing. Silence would be better. The comfort of another presence is often what a grieving person really needs, not verbose words. Yet, what my aunt said has helped me immensely. For those of you reading this, I'm hoping it will help you as well.
1976
This past week I read~~~
In the Common English Bible:
Revelation chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22.
Philippians chapters 1, 2, 3, 4.
Zechariah chapters1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.
Malachi chapters 1, 2, 3, 4. 
In the New Living Translation Study Bible:
Psalm 139 four times.
Psalm 103 three times.
In the New King James Study Bible:
Joshua chapters 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24.
Judges chapter 1, 2.
Ezekiel chapters 1, 2, 3.
Romans chapters 1, 2.

I'm in a mini-challenge for the month of May with Becky at Operation Actually Read Bible.
The Scripture readings of Psalm 139, Psalm 103, and Philippians, are for this mini-challenge.

This was the 5th time for me to read Revelation in 2013. My goal is to read this book 12 times in 12 different translations.
So far I've read Revelation from the~~~
  1. King James Version, 
  2. New King James Version, 
  3. New American Standard Bible, 
  4. New English Bible,
  5. Common English Bible. 
Next will be from the New Living Translation Study Bible.

Are you reading your Bible?

Comments