Skip to main content

Weekly Readings, July 28th-August 4th, 2013

Over the past week I read:
Psalms 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118;
1 Peter 1 2, 3, 4, 5;
2 Peter 1, 2, 3;
Hebrews 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.
After reading Hebrews I've read through the Bible for 2013. I'll begin again with Matthew, hoping to re-read the NT this year.
Above Scripture read from the ESV Crossway Study Bible.  


Last week Rachel Held Evans was featured in an article at CNN Belief Blog,
Why Millennials Are Leaving The Church. Her opinions have caused the blogger pot to stir.
Trevin Wax at The Gospel Coalition, Aaron Armstrong at Blogging Theologically, 
and Brett McCracken at the Washington Post have all responded.

Brett McCracken expressed something that resonated with me, 
"we do not have everything figured out. And if we expect older generations and well-established institutions to morph to fit our every fickle desire, we do so at our peril."
I've learned as I've grown older an important lesson: I will never have it all figured out. When I was young, I thought at some point there would be an epiphany moment and I'd miraculously have it all together and have life figured out. As the years passed my epiphany moment happened, but it was in coming to grips with the fact my parents did know more than I thought.
Each generation believes it has found "the answer" over the previous ones. My dad's generation, the greatest generation, believed their generation was better than their parents. My older siblings and I grew up in the 60s, 70s and 80s. We are the baby boomer generation. We believed our generation was better than the greatest generation.  Millennials now feel they are better, and have discovered "the answer." 
Social media has given a voice to anyone that has Internet. In the wake of this, humility and accountability has taken a nose dive. 
Humility is a word people stumble on; accountability is down-right ignored. 
I found two Scriptures that give solid understanding for how we are to live in humility and accountability. 

"Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you." 
1 Peter 5:5-6 ESV

"For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living. Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, 'As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.' So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother." 
Romans 14:7-13 ESV

Millennials have stated they're not finding Jesus in some churches. They want a relaxed atmosphere, contemporary music, more acceptance and outreach to all people, and to approach Scripture under a filtered light. They want what they want without regard to how other people who don't share their views feel. Further, some of the things they want goes against Scripture. Sometimes change is not a bad thing it can be good; changing Scripture is a bad thing. 
I wonder if Christian churches that meet in countries where it's outlawed and punishable by prison or death, argue over the same things western churches argue over? Maybe the freedom to worship has made us spoiled? Maybe we've lost our focus? Maybe God is allowing us to be sifted? 
Jesus is not lost. He does not hide. We don't have to search for Him. He abides in all believers who have trusted Him as their Lord and Savior. 
Jesus' Spirit abides in me and I worship Him anywhere and everywhere. Whether I'm in a contemporary worship service, or a traditional worship service. It does not matter if I'm running on a treadmill, or if I'm in my comfortable reading chair at home. I can and do worship Jesus.
Someday another generation will come along and sweep aside all the quaint ideas the millennials had. They'll declare they've found a better way, "the answer" has been found. 

Repeat after me, it's not about me, it's not about you, it's all about Jesus. 



Comments