Wednesday, December 18, 2013

[Review] Chasing God by Angie Smith

Title: Chasing God
Author: Angie Smith
Publisher: B and H Books---January 1, 2014 for hardcover, December 10, 2013 for Kindle.
Genre: Non-fiction
Theme: Stop chasing God. Stand still and focus on Him.
Format:Unproofed Manuscript Paperback
Age: Adult
Pages: 192
Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Free copy from Icon Media Group and B and H Publishing Group for the purpose of review.

Angie's website: http://angiesmithonline.com/  

Angie's Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Angie-Smith/e/B003745CCW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Book details @ B and H Publishing Group: http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/products/chasing-god/

Summary:
"For most of my Christian life, I have been chasing God." Page 2. 
"The goal of this book is not to present you with a formula for living out Christianity. It's to offer my thoughts on the difference between looking for Him and looking at Him. And maybe you, like me, have been spending your time going after the wrong objectives (without realizing it) and it's left you weary of the whole process. What was meant to be a gift has become an obligation, a source of guilt or a way to fight fear." Page 2.
Chasing God, means "looking for Him" by making him into something we want Him to be, and by working for Him in the way we want to do it. We're control freaks. Arrogant, puffed-up, control freaks.

Thoughts:
I have to admit when I began reading Chasing God I was not getting something, a failure to communicate-type-mental-dysfunction on my part. Then, it was as if a part of my brain switched gears and I had the ah ha moment. Several points in Angie's book I related to. There were moments that profoundly caused my mouth to gape open and I said aloud, "she and I could be cousins, or at least friends." By the way.....I am crazy in love with post it notes, index cards, spiral notebooks (if they're covered with owl illustrations I will fight anyone that gets in my consumer way). When you read the book you'll understand my last sentence.
I'm going to write this review a little different than usual, because there were many many quotes that I adored, a few of these will be posted at the end of the review.

I'm adding a combined feature to the review that answers the questions:
1. Why I believe this book is phenomenal and a must read?
2. Why this book matters to me?

Angie Smith has a unique, a bit quirky, writing style. I only know of a couple of other non-fiction authors that write similar to her, but won't compare by using names. Her style is confronting and constructive, but with charm. A serious and hard teaching is combined with a light-hearted tid-bit for application. She is honest, uncomfortably so at times; the uncomfortable part is my reaction to a convicted heart. She's a keen observer. Intuitive of herself and people. She sees the world through the eyes as a born teacher, grasping those golden apples, to then share with others. It is common to learn while in the process of reading a book, but continuing to learn days and weeks later is a rarity. What I'm trying to say is she is a gifted teacher and caused me to reflect on what I'd read day's later. 

I needed to read this!
"I think it's because I get so caught up in being misunderstood that I just decide not to say things at all." page 105.
This is not the only reason I hold back, but one of them. I've seen first hand, dragons. Some of these dragons I'm related to. They don't hold back, fire and venom spew from their mouth incinerating people they claim to love. I don't want to be like them. So, I go the other way, I would rather seethe and suffer, then cause someone else to. Is there pride on my part for holding "it" all in? Of course. On the other hand I won't be changing to become like a dragon. As I've grown older and as the Holy Spirit has worked in my inner person, I have become an astute communicator. Not perfect, but it's a work in progress.

"My faith was a perpetual Monday." Page 20.
"We spend more time arguing about God then we do experiencing Him" Page 28. 
"When you feel like you have to keep 'trying to get saved,' you're chasing God." Page 31. 
"Salvation isn't about set words. It's an attitude of the heart. The words have no power in and of themselves; its not a formula we have to perfect in order to be accepted." Page 31. 
"Let us look upon our journey with God in the same manner We will never make much progress if our motivation is anything less than gratitude in motion, rooted in the deep and abiding love of the One who loved us first." Page 71. 
In reference to Bible reading. "God does not have a word count goal for you." Page 147. 


2 comments:

etcikra said...

Would this book lend itself to doing with a small group? Does it have reflection questions for each chapter?

Annette said...

The book I had for review did not have questions for discussion in it, it is a unproofed manuscript copy.
I looked at Christian Book Distributor's site but was not able to find out if discussion questions were added late.
I'm going to say no, the book does not have reflection questions.