Skip to main content

What Does It Mean To Follow Jesus?

 photo d5f2044a-7e26-4797-af74-bea80b7c5241.jpg
When I was a child growing up there was a painting that hung on the wall behind my dad's chair at our dinner table. The painting was of an aged, white-haired, reverent man, with his head bow down in prayer. A loaf of bread, knife, Bible, glasses, bowl of soup, were placed near him. When I looked at my dad sitting at our family dinner table, behind him on the wall was the reverent man. For some reason in my childlike mind I thought the man in the painting was God the Father. My earthly daddy sitting at the head of our dinner table, with a painting of my heavenly Father behind him. 
Many people equate their earthly father as to what God must be like. If their earthly father is harsh, condemning, fearful, then God must be also. If their earthly father is indifferent, passive, absent, then God must be also. 
Maybe you've heard this before, but there is a big difference between knowing about someone, and really knowing them personally.
The only way to know God personally is through His Son Jesus Christ, and in reading His Word which is the Bible. Anything else is counterfeit, it's a image corrupted by humans.
Jesus said in John 14:6,
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." ESV.
Jesus, is the only way to know God. A church, or religion, or another person, or a worship song, or a devotional book, or an artistic painting, are only images that "can" minister to us, but they are not the way to know God. We know God by His Son and in reading His Word.
It's simple; it's difficult. It's simple in that we need only to accept and believe in Jesus Christ, and to open our Bible and read it. It's difficult in that we can't get past the old, "I'll do it later" mentality. We put it off and put it off until we're at deaths door and then there will be no more putting it off.
As my mother used to say, "that's all she wrote."

What does it mean to follow Jesus?
It means believing in God's Son Jesus Christ, and in reading His Word. I'm reminded of Peter's answer when Jesus asked,
"Do you want to go away as well? Simon Peter answered him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:68-69 ESV.

Comments