[Review] Holy Is the Day: Living in the Gift of the Present by Carolyn Weber

Title: Holy Is the Day: Living in the Gift of the Present
Author: Carolyn Weber
Publisher: IVPress Books August 2013
Genre: Non-fiction, Memoir,
Format: Paperback
Pages: 192
Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Self-purchase

Author biography: Carolyn Weber. 

Summary: 
Carolyn Weber, is a professor of English, and living with her husband and young daughter in Seattle, Washington. The family grew when twins are born. After a traumatic caesarean delivery, Carolyn made a decision to take a step-back to rest and reflect. During this period, memories from her past arose with zeal. Writing became a catharsis for her, and a way to work through each memory and event.

My Thoughts:
I fell in love with this book at the reading of the first page. 
Carolyn, is a gifted writer. She has the ability and wisdom, to see where God has displayed his love and proficiency, even in the midst of trauma and suffering. She is then able to transcribe her thoughts and feelings with transparency onto paper.
Her words are relaxing, moving, provoking, evocative; they draw me along, holding my intellect, emotion, and spirit.
Carolyn, has utilized several quotes from favored writers: Ken Gire, Ann Voskamp, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, T. S. Eliot, John Milton, George MacDonald.

I can relate to Carolyn's traumatizing c-section delivery. I'd labored with my first son over 37 hours before an emergency c-section was performed. When the doctor made the incision, my epidural had worn-off, I felt the searing pain of the cut. After the delivery my body shook uncontrollably. I'd asked what was causing the shaking, but was never given an answer. I was a young woman of nineteen when David was born, but looked younger. I was married; but older adults treated me as if I were an ignorant, irresponsible, youth. Reading Carolyn's story, caused me to reflect on this period from my own life. The experience I went through, just as Carolyn did, caused us to wake-up to what was going on around us in respect to God at work in our life.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Review) Forensic Faith: A Homicide Detective Makes the Case for a More Reasonable, Evidential Christian Faith by J. Warner Wallace

(Review) Christian Standard Bible

Review: Beyond Our Selves by Catherine Marshall