The Apple of Your Eye

 photo 7179e8f1-6cc7-481c-ace8-9d8ef1f8bc15.jpg

The last time I posted a Bible reading update was April 15, 2014, you can find the link here: The Apple of Your Eye. 
Since April 15 I've read the following Scripture:
Numbers chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36.
John chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21.
Matthew chapters 26, 27, 28
Mark chapters 14, 15, 16. 
Luke chapters 22, 23, 24. 
John chapters 18, 19, 20, 21.
The highlighted Scriptures were read because of Bible Study Fellowship. In 2013/2014 those of us who are members of Bible Study Fellowship have been studying Matthew. Tonight is our last night. In September we will begin the study of The Life of Moses. Our calendar year for Bible study is September through May, taking time off for holidays, Christmas break, and summer.
In addition, during Passion Week, I read all the Bible verses in the NT pertaining to Jesus' arrest, trial, crucifixion, and resurrection, from the four Gospel accounts. Plus, I read the OT prophesies pertaining to Jesus. The link for these Bible readings can be found here @ The Final Days of Jesus by Andreas J. Kostenberger and Justin Taylor, the reading Guide is from Crossway.
It's been a phenomenal two of weeks of Bible reading. Many of the Scriptures were read multiple times, but I didn't mind, they are such an important group of Bible passages!

The next Bible books I plan to read are:
Deuteronomy and Acts.
On May 1st, 1 Corinthians will be read for the 5th time, the translation will be from the King James Version (my mother's Bible). For an explanation on why I'm reading 1 Corinthians so many times, for the past 4 years I choose a NT book to read 12 times in 12 different translations. This year's choice is 1 Corinthians.

I've heard well-meaning people remark that we should not read the Bible in big chunks, but read slowly savoring each verse. They have a point, and I do this. I also read Scripture aloud. Reading in big chunks is a joy to me. I've noticed at this point I'm remembering how many chapters are in each of the OT and NT books.

A few links of interest:
Have you come across the Bible survey from the American Bible Society?
From the American Bible Society, a poll on the Bible in America. The State of the Bible in 2014.
Thank you to Patheos for alerting readers about this important information.
Ray Pritchard's post on the results of Bible reading.
Bible study teacher and author Kathy Howard's Bible study resources: Bible reading plans, prayer helps, discipleship tools, Scripture memory plans.
Three Things to Know About Finding Your Calling, from Relevant Magazine by Jeff Goins. By the way, subscriptions to the magazine is $6.
Destroy a Church in 4 Simple Steps by Tim Challies.

After reading the Bible survey I decided to post photos of my ESV Study Bible. This is the primary Bible I use. I read from other translations, but the ESV Bible is always near me.



          Are you reading your Bible? 

Scripture links from Bible Gateway. 
http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Review) Forensic Faith: A Homicide Detective Makes the Case for a More Reasonable, Evidential Christian Faith by J. Warner Wallace

(Review) Christian Standard Bible

Review: Beyond Our Selves by Catherine Marshall