Skip to main content

(Review) The Hardest Peace: Expecting Grace in the Midst of Life's Hard by Kara Tippetts

Publisher: David C. Cook, October 1, 2014.
Genre: Memoir, cancer, family.
Format: paperback.
Pages: 194.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.
Source: Free copy from David C. Cook in exchange for a review.

Link @ David C. Cook. 

Kindle link: The Hardest Peace. 

Cara Tippett's website is (link included) Mundane Faithfulness. 

Facebook link: Mundane Faithfulness.
Twitter link: Kara Tippetts. 

Additional links to read interviews of Cara Tippett.
From Beliefnet. 
From Worldmag. 
From The American Conservative. 

Part One:


Part Two:


Part Three:


Kara, her husband, and four children had recently moved to Colorado to begin a new church. Within a week, a fire in the canyon where they live nearly destroyed their home. After working to clean the soot from their home, Kara took a shower, and feeling compelled to do a self-breast exam, she found a hard lump. She “just knew” what it meant. Two serious events so quickly after moving to Colorado was jolting. Kara's biopsy revealed stage IV breast cancer. Cancer, doctor appointments, and surgeries began a new journey in Kara's life.
Kara remarked early in her story, and in reference to other people writing accounts of the hardships of their lives.
I am certainly not the first to write on suffering. Many have done so before me with
more clarity and understanding. I come to you in these pages as a broken woman,
realizing that my brokenness may be my greatest strength-that it may be the
greatest strength of us all. In the depths of my illness, I have been able to set aside
my striving and look for God's presence in my suffering. My season of weakness
has taught me the joy of receiving, the strength of brokenness, and the importance
of looking for God in each moment.
The word cancer is frightening. It's a word I would love to remove from earth. Actually, I hate the word. But it is a word and a disease that has affected me.
We live in a fallen world. Sickness and disease reminds us of our imperfect bodies and our imperfect world. People regard hard stories in life as something they'd rather not read, because it reminds us of our weaknesses. But hard stories teach us how to live. Life is brief. Life is a gift. What we say and do in this life is of great importance. Kara's gift to us is her story.
Kara expressed a significant perspective, “we live for the graces that are here.” It's true. We hold onto this life as if that's all there is, as if there is no hope of grace for tomorrow.
There were so many moments in The Hardest Peace, when I had to stop reading and reflect on what I'd read. My heart was heavy. My eyes filled with tears.
Kara's story reveals a beauty that comes from the ashes of life. Knowledge and wisdom during a hard season in life is expected, but beauty is not expected. It's a beauty that is from the Father and poured through into Kara's family and friends, descending on Kara during her journey.
There is also beauty in the peace that God has given Kara during this time.
Kara reflects on her marriage and motherhood, especially in regards to the period after the cancer diagnosis.
Kara's story is personal, private, revealing, and intimate.
It's a story that shuffles my neat and controlled life.
It's a story that creates strong thought and conversation.
I believe most people who are going through what Kara is going through would retreat to their small world of close loved ones. Kara has instead reached out to the world to share her life story. 
At the end of each of the eight chapters several questions are asked. These questions ask the reader to remember their life stories and how God has shown grace.

Comments