Tuesday, December 16, 2014

(Review) An Amish Second Christmas-Four Novellas by Beth Wiseman, Kathleen Fuller, Ruth Reid, and Tricia Goyer

Publisher: HarperCollins Christian Publishing/Thomas Nelson, October 14, 2014.
Genre: Amish love story, novella.
Format: Paperback.
Pages: 419.
Rating: 4 stars for very good.
Source: Library.

Link for the book @ Amazon. 

Summary:
When Christmas Comes Again by Beth Wiseman
Katherine Zook and her children are working through the grieving process since Elias Zook died. A mysterious man brings a surprising twist to the untold story.

Her Christmas Pen Pal by Ruth Reid
A stranger in town visits the bakery where Joy works. The first anniversary of her parents death is approaching. An expectation from a beau proceeds a change in direction for life.

A Gift For Anne Marie by Kathleen Fuller
A family coming to terms with their mother's choice.

The Christmas Apron by Tricia Goyer
Ammon Schwartz is preoccupied in caring for his mother. His large family has recently moved to Montana. Esther Glick's delicious pie was auctioned and bought by Ammon. Their friendship leads to helping each other understand a "right" way of thinking.

Amish recipes are included in the back of the book.

My Thoughts:
I'm not a fan of Amish stories. I have read Amish stories over the years, but they are not a favorite genre. On a recent visit to the public library, I decided to read out of my usual element. Reading several short Christmas Amish stories appealed to me. During the rush of the busy season, it feels good to read simple stories that carry me away from my harried life.
Of the four novellas, my two favorites were, The Christmas Apron and When Christmas Comes Again. 
When Christmas Comes Again had an unexpected story-line. The family is grieving, and this alone is an important story. I can relate to missing loved ones at Christmas time. I can relate to the family's steps of grieving. The mystery man brought at least two additional stories. One brought closure for the family.
The Christmas Apron, is the story of two young people. In addition, it is a teaching story. The young couple shows the right kind of mind-set a child of God has. 

No comments: