(Review) Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds by Jen Wilkin

Publication Date: July 31, 2014.
Publisher: Crossway.
Genre: Teaching women to read and study the Bible.
Pages: 160.
Source: Self-purchase.
Rating: 5 Stars for excellent.

To read an excerpt: Crossway. 

Summary:
"As a disciple of Christ, you and I are called to learn, and learning requires effort." Page 23.
Women are known for multi-tasking. Juggling the demands of a job, home, family, and surprise tasks that creep into our days is our norm. It's difficult to carve-out a spot in our day to read, much less study the Bible. We understand we should read and study the Bible and feel guilty because we don't. Further, we don't even know where to start. It's easy to depend on other people to tell us what the Bible says. But would we really know if someone told us something that was false? How can we expect to "grow up into salvation" if we are not reading God's Word?
Jen Wilkin, in nine chapters, teaches women how to read and study the Bible in order to understand Scripture.

My Thoughts:
Jen Wilkin teaches us how to read and study the Bible, but finding the time must be arranged by us. It is an effort. It is difficult. But it is of eternal importance.

Examples of chapters:
"The Case for Bible Literacy"
"Study with Purpose"
"Study with Perspective"
"Study with Prayer"

Example of important questions to ask when reading the Bible:
"What is the original meaning of the passage?"
"Why was it written?"

I loved everything about this book. Several of Jen's points I've learned over the years. From watching my parents prepare to teach Bible classes, to my own adventure in Bible studies, small groups, teaching, and personal devotional time. Bible Study Fellowship is where I first learned to be diligent and disciplined in studying the Bible. Years later Precept classes taught me to dig deeper. I have studied the Bible verse by verse and studied the Bible in a broad over-all view. I have also studied the Bible in a topical format. Wilkin emphasizes studying the Bible itself and not in using a topical format or focus. She believes less is learned from a topical study. I agree with her to a point. A teacher's task is to teach the student by bringing out nuggets of knowledge from the Bible. Even if the study is topical, an inductive approach can be used. A good teacher will take whatever material is at hand and develop it to meet the needs of the students.
I love hard questions. Questions that make me reflect and I'm not able to answer quick. There were several questions in the book that I wrote down and have been journaling.
Wilkin states "...we must learn to think deeply about God." Amen. I love this quote and have written it in my Bible.


Jen Wilkin is a speaker, writer, and teacher of women’s Bible studies. During her fifteen years of teaching, she has organized and led studies for women in home, church, and parachurch contexts. Jen and her family are members of the Village Church in Flower Mound, Texas. She is the author ofWomen of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds. Courtesy of Crossway website. 

An interview from Bible Gateway. 
Book is available at Amazon.

Comments

Joyful said…
I'm currently working through this one and enjoying it very much! I will be passing it on to someone I feel will benefit from it. Thanks for this review!

Popular posts from this blog

(Review) Forensic Faith: A Homicide Detective Makes the Case for a More Reasonable, Evidential Christian Faith by J. Warner Wallace

(Review) Christian Standard Bible

Review: Beyond Our Selves by Catherine Marshall