Saturday, February 21, 2015

(Review) Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God by Margaret Feinberg

Publication Date: December 25, 2012.
Publisher: Worthy Publishing.
Genre: Christian nonfiction, God's blessings in everyday life.
Pages: 224.
Source: self-purchase Kindle ebook.
Rating: 4 stars for very good.
Wonderstruck Bible Study link. 
The Amazon Kindle ebook is $3.03. 
 



The above video is a summary of the book.

It occurred to me that this is the posture we're supposed to take in our spiritual journeys. God delights for us to cup our hands in prayer and scrunch our faces against the vault of heaven in holy expectation that he will meet us in beautiful mysterious ways. The creator desires to captivate us not just with his handiwork but with himself-displaying facets of his character, igniting us with his fiery love, awakening us to the intensity of his holiness.

My Thoughts:
I love this book for two main reasons.

  1. It spoke to my introvert, reflective personality. 
  2. It reminded me to get out of my comfort zone-which is where I tend to gravitate. 

In the above video, Margaret commented, "people going through motions of faith." The life of a Christian should not be methodical. Nor matte-colored. Instead, the Christian life should be a vibrant, joyful, "abundant" life.
Feinberg believes it is during the "wonder of God" of His creation, that we have a "spiritual awakening that makes us curious to know God more." And we "know God more" by reading His Word. I love Feinberg's expressions that Bible verses come "...alive like a pop-up book...."
I've been guilty of living a Christian life with out really seeing what is around me; instead, I'm overwhelmed by concerns and cares. My eyes are inward focused and I've lost sight of being God focused.
When reading and studying the Bible, I don't want to read God's Word as if it is merely ink on paper, because God's Word is alive and actively at work in my inner person. God's Word is nourishment and strength, correction and wisdom, mercy and grace.
After reading Wonderstruck, I came away with the emphasis that Feinberg is reminding me to wake-up and be amazed at God's creation and His Word; and to let go of my pseudo safe existence, and be secure in God and His will for my life.

No comments: