Genre: Bible Study, DVD member book.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.
Jefferson Bethke began this endeavor by posting a video of a poem he wrote that went viral. Meaning it was a big success.
This is the video of his poem---a little over 4 minutes
Another video Bethke has on the Unforgivable Sin--- 5:40
Study is available @ Amazon, Lifeway.
Six study sessions: This includes a DVD, questions for small group dialogue, and an individual Bible study.
The study is on one big theme, but several other themes run through the study.
The big theme is on placing Jesus as the focus of love and life, and not on a particular religious based creed, or achievement pattern.
Some of the secondary themes, but no less important are: transparency, Bible reading, who is Jesus to me, selfishness, and worship style.
My husband and I will begin a new small group study in our home this Sunday evening. This is a new ministry of our church. So far we have 16 adults signed up. The group is a mix of couples and singles. The ages are 30s through 60s. Men and women. Jesus > Religion is the study we'll be using.
I have read through the Bible study and the paperback version of the Bible study. I'll be reviewing the paperback version soon.
I believe this is an excellent study for the following reasons:
- Straightforward. It's easy to understand and relate to.
- Candid and direct. Bethke asks hard questions. Questions that some people may squirm in their seat over. However, they are important questions. For example: Who do we say Jesus is? This is the most important question we'll ever answer. It is a question of life or death.
- The study can be used for young adults, not just adults. At least high school age can benefit.
- Material is easy to use for leaders. There is a brief section in the start of the book that gives helpful advise to leaders.
- This is a perfect study for newbies to Bible study. The format is easy to read, understand, and follow along.
- The questions are thought provoking, engaging, and solid conversation starters.