Saturday, May 16, 2015

(Review) ESV Children's Bible from Crossway

Publication Date: April 30, 2015.
Publisher: Crossway.
Genre: Bible.
Pages: 1,392.
Source: Free copy (Green hardcover) from Crossway in exchange for a review.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.

For more information Crossway. 

A choice of two other front covers.

ESV Children's Bible
ESV Children's Bible

Available at Amazon, Christian Book, Mardel. 

Summary:
Reading the Bible early in life builds a strong foundation. The gift of a Bible to a child is a precious investment in their life.
The ESV Children's Bible is
  • For 5 to 10 year old range.
  • Hardcover in three choices of colors. 
  • Double-column.
  • Words of Christ in black.
  • 1,392 pages.
  • 9.5 text size.
  • 11 page dictionary. 
  • Two "God's Word for me" sections. These help explain and encourage when in doubt, feeling guilty, "decisions to make," or "about what Jesus did." 
  • 8 maps illustrated to engage children. 
  • 200 color illustrations throughout the Bible. For example, rebuilding "the wall of Jerusalem," and "Jesus teaches about Himself on the way to Emmaus." 
  • The Bible begins with short essays on "The Bible, God's Message to Us," "What the Bible Says About Itself," and "How to Use the Bible." 
My Thoughts: 
I love Bibles. I love Bibles published for children (with illustrations.) I love Bibles published for adults (with no illustrations.) I love God's Word.

Theopneustos-Greek: God breathed, inspired by God. Greek translation from Biblehub. 


What I love about the ESV Children's Bible.

  • Matte pages. 
  • The use of different colors for chapter number, page number, name of Bible book, and section headings. 
  • Color illustrations with detail. The people have expressions on their faces (important to my visual type learning style.) I have taken the time to study many of the illustrations. As a child when I was in Sunday school the teacher held up a 10x13 illustration of the Bible story as she shared the story. Illustrations are important for children. I believe this adheres the story in memory.  
  • The Bible lays open flat. I love books that open easily and stay open while on a table (so I don't have to force it.) 
  • The print is easy to read. 
  • Lastly, the solid word for word ESV translation. 

Back cover
 All Scripture links courtesy of Bible Gateway.

1 comment:

Teresa Arsenault said...

Looks good. Thanks for the review.
Hugs,
Teresa
TMD member