Thursday, June 4, 2015

(Review) Utmost Classic Readings and Prayers from Oswald Chambers

Publication Date: August 1, 2012.
Publisher: Discovery House Publishers.
Genre: Nonfiction, devotional.
Pages: 112.
Source: Free copy from Discovery House Publishers. I chose to read and review the book.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.

$3.99 @ Amazon

Bio @ Wikipedia. 

Oswald Chambers Publication Association.

My Utmost For His Highest, Our Daily Bread website devoted to this classic.

Oswald Chambers biography, from Our Daily Bread.

Summary:
Oswald Chambers was a Scottish Baptist pastor. He was born in 1874, and died from complications after an appendectomy in 1917. He was a chaplain to British soldiers in Egypt during World War I.


Utmost Classic Readings and Prayers is a 90 day devotional. The devotionals cover topics such as yielding to God, the "call to serve," worry, loneliness, suffering, what it means to be a disciple, testing of our faith, and the salvation experience.

My Thoughts:
I have enjoyed reading this devotional. Often the day's reading is just what I needed to hear. Chambers words resonate in my heart and meet me at what I needed to learn. Reading a devotional book is not meant to be read in order to only glean knowledge. Devotionals are meant to cause the reader to ponder. They are meant to soothe, minister, and teach. They are meant to explain in brief a particular Bible verse. And they are meant to mature us in Christ Jesus.
Oswald Chambers was a thinking man, and I'm a thinking kind of gal. His devotions appeal to me, because I want my heart to melt, to be convicted, to be taught, and to be lifted-up.

No comments: