Wednesday, August 26, 2015

(Review) The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands by Lysa Terkeurst

Publication Date: August 19, 2014.
Publisher: Thomas Nelson. 
Genre: Nonfiction, Christian living, time management.
Pages: 272.
Chapters: 19.
Source: self-purchase.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Mardel----$5.00
Lifeway
Christian Book---$7.99








Summary:
The back cover of the book does not share the thrust of the book's emphasis. I purchased the book because of the author, secondly for the title and subtitle. The subtitle states the summary of the book perfectly: Making Wise Decisions In The Midst Of Endless Demands. If you ponder the subtitle, making wise decisions is what most Christians want to make; however, how can this be achieved? Lisa Terkeurst examines, explains, and answers the question of making wise decisions.

My Thoughts:
The Best Yes is one of those books where in the beginning, I'm not quite sure what I've gotten myself into; however, before long I'm glued to the pages and cannot lay the book down until the last page.
I wish I'd had this book when I was in my twenties and thirties. At this point in life, I have learned (and sometimes through trial and error) how to make wise decisions. I've also learned there is no "perfect choice." Lastly, life is a journey, and as a Christian, God has taken the bad choices I made in life, and in His grace and mercy has blessed me immeasurably. God makes the ugly beautiful.

The Best Yes is filled with memorable quotes. At the end of the book, many of these quotes are enlarged and ready to cut-out (since photocopying is not okay.) I've not seen other nonfiction books display memorable quotes in the book for key emphasis.

Some examples of quotes are:

  • "We must not confuse the command to love with the disease to please."
  • "The one who obeys God's instruction for today will develop a keen awareness of His direction for tomorrow." 
  • "Our decisions aren't just isolated choices. Our decisions point our lives in the directions we're about to head. Show me a decision and I'll show you a direction." 
  •  "Humility and wisdom are a package deal. And often the people who have the most wisdom have experienced the most humility. Or sometimes even the most humiliation."
Some examples of chapter titles are:
"Chapter 3: Overwhelmed Schedule, Underwhelmed Soul."
"Chapter 4: Sometimes I Make It All So Complicated."
"Chapter 10: Managing Demands Means Understanding Expectations." 
"Chapter 18: When My Best Yes Doesn't Yield What I Expect." 

Also, at the end of the book is a helpful tool section for decision making. Questions to ask when making decisions. 

The paperback copy does not have discussion questions. There is a study guide and DVD that can be bought separately. 

Lastly, do I believe The Best Yes is written to an audience of only young women? No. Making wise choices is a subject women of any age can relate to and learn from. However, as I stated in the above review, some of Terkeurst's points in decision making I'd already learned. 





No comments: