Monday, August 31, 2015

(Review) A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings

Publication Date: December 2, 2014.
Publisher: Bethany House/Baker Publishing.
Genre: Christian fiction, Civil War.
Pages: 336.
Source: Free copy from Bethany House in exchange for a review.
Rating: 3 stars for good.

Amazon

Summary:
Late winter, 1865, Missouri.
Abigail Stuart is a nurse caring for Confederate soldiers in a prison. She developed a "brief" friendship with a wounded soldier named Jeremiah Calhoun. He asked her to care for his Ozark farm, and ill sister, in the event of his death. Further, she accepted his proposal of marriage. After arriving on the Ozark farm, caring for the ill sister, mother-in-law, and farm is hard work. Life becomes complicated when a haggard and wounded soldier named Jeremiah Calhoun arrives at the farm. He states he is the "real" Jeremiah Calhoun.

My Thoughts:
What I did not like:
  • I don't care for the front cover, it's silly. 
  • I don't care for the beginning plot. I cannot imagine a young woman of any era, meeting a man who is a wounded prisoner, and soon afterwards marrying him. I understand Abigail's circumstances as a desperate woman in search of having a home and income after her duty as a nurse is finished. However, I feel she's naive and asking for trouble. 
What I did like:
  • The conflict between Jeremiah Calhoun and Abigail Stuart. The conflict and tension, as well as the magnetism between them kept me reading till the last page. 
  • The love story between Jeremiah and Abigail is a blend of attraction and yet a patient maturity. At times they are swept up in feelings, but decide to wait for a mature direction. 

No comments: