(Review) Philippians: Discovering Joy Through Relationship by Sue Edwards
Publisher: Kregel Publications.
Genre: Nonfiction, Bible study, Philippians.
Source: Free copy from Kregel in exchange for a review.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent.
Available in paperback only.
Link for all of the Discover Together Series study books.
Kregel link to read about the product and includes an excerpt.
The Philippians letter was written by the apostle Paul, to the Christian church at the Roman colony of the city of Philippi, in about A.D. 60.
The first convert at Phillipi was Lydia. Lydia was a business woman, a seller of purple cloth.
Paul encourages the Philippi church to continue in their faith, to "stand firm in One Spirit," to comfort each other, to be at peace with the Lord, to "press on towards the goal in Christ Jesus," and to "rejoice in the Lord."
Philippians: Discovering Joy Through Relationship has 8 lessons.
The first lesson is Acts chapter 16, verses 6-40. This lesson gives the over-all story from Acts on Philippi.
The second lesson is Philippians 1:1-11.
The third lesson is Philippians 1:12-30.
The fourth lesson is Philippians 2:1-16.
The fifth lesson is Philippians 2:17-30.
The sixth lesson is Philippians 3:12-4:1.
The seventh lesson is Philippians 4:2-9.
The eighth lesson is Philippians 4:10-23.
A QR code is located on the back cover of the book and at the middle or end of each lesson. Using a smart phone and snapping the QR code, a person is able to watch the accompanying videos of the lessons. The videos are also located at the website, www.discovertogetherseries.com.
Several aspects of this Bible study I love.
- Additional points of interest and study is located on the side margins of the pages.
- A "Digging Deeper" section is located on the side margins of the pages. For example: additional Bible verses to read, links for further study in commentaries, quotes, and questions for deep thinking and reflection.
- Not including the "Digging Deeper" section, each lesson has between 23 and 30 questions.
- The paperback has glossy front and back covers, is 10 x 7, nice thick pages, and is acceptable in laying open flat.
- A verse for each lesson to memorize.
- A truth or application question at the end of each lesson.
- "Summary Review Questions" at the end of the study.
- Topics pulled from the study are discerning other people, false teachers, humility, conflicts, good works versus faith, and being content despite situation.