Skip to main content

(Review) The Other Side of Infamy: My Journey Through Pearl Harbor and the World of War by Jim Downing with James Lund

Publication Date: November 1, 2016
Publisher: NavPress
Genre: Nonfiction, autobiography, Pearl Harbor, World War II
Pages: 224
Source: I received this book free of charge from the publisher.
Rating: 5 stars for excellent

For more information at Tyndale.

Amazon













Summary:
Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed the nation the day after the Pearl Harbor attack stating it was, "a date which will live in infamy."

16.1 million Americans served in World War II. Jim Downing's story is one story among so many stories. However, his story represents those who both gave their lives, and were willing to give their lives in service, honor, and duty.
The Other Side of Infamy is the story of Jim Downing's life, with an focal point on his experience at Pearl Harbor.

My Thoughts:
The focus of the book is on Jim Downing's experience during Pearl Harbor. However, the book tells the story of Downing's life, from his childhood through to current life.
I enjoyed reading about Downing's beginnings in small town mid-America. His family life, schooling, activities, and character set in motion a man of determination.
Downing became a Christian as a young man, after he joined the Navy.
His transition from a lone young man who did not know the Lord, to a young man who loved the Lord and dedicated his life to serving God, showed me a strong testimony of faith. I loved reading about his transformation from "little depth" to a growing Christian.
I'm amazed at the courage Downing displayed at Pearl Harbor. He is a hero, an inspiration. I'm proud to have read his biography.
The feelings, thoughts, and responses of Downing and other survivors are described.
December 7, 1941 was a horror filled day. It was a day of peril and death. It was also a day when people displayed great strength and heroic acts.
Downing's marriage was a testimony. They were newlyweds when the Japanese struck Pearl Harbor. This experience was a testing point in their early years. Downing traveled and was often absent from the family home. The couple relied on God as their anchor.
Downing had a successful career in the Navy, and other government branches. After retirement he became involved fulltime in the Navigators. He felt his career in the Navigators, "was probably the most rewarding time of a life filled with adventures and unexpected blessings."

My favorite quote:
What I've learned from that experience and others since is that God does not respond to false alarms. If I feel he's not paying attention, it's because I'm not in any real trouble. And if I am in real trouble, I don't have to worry about it. I know he's there. He may not handle things the way I would prefer, but I recognized he's got things under control. Pg. 189.



Comments